Sunday 28 October 2012

Can you knit a poster?

Yep, I was actually asked that question - "Can you knit a poster?".

Not one of my more common requests I must be honest, but as you all know I do love a challenge  :)

The brief was to do a poster sized piece of knitting to promote the "3 for 2" promotion we have on wool at the moment in Hobbycraft.

The colours were chosen for me, but I did push for chunky wool, as it would have taken ages in double knit.


So, first, I had to design the pattern.  I opened up my bead designing program on my laptop and set it to 'square stitch'  (I also have a cross-stitch designer program which would have done the job just as well).


It took me a good three hours of fiddling about with little dots to get it right.  I decided on 100 stitches and 150 rows.

Each row took just under 6 minutes, making a total of 900 minutes for the whole piece (or 15 hours).  But that didn't include the three times I had to unpick it as I was concentrating more on the TV !!


And to show you just how big it is, here is the Hubster holding it up  :)


4 comments:

  1. Well done I knew you would find a way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really clever! And huge :-D Would you make something to that scale again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know Jolene, it knitted up quickly, but there are other things I would rather do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Sooz, that is amazing! Hobbycraft should give you a medal! I like your new avatar with dog!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.