Sunday 31 March 2013

Book Review - "Crystal Lace Necklace Patterns" by Sanda D. Halpenny

Oh dear, another month has crept up on me and flew on by, and yet again I find myself at the end of the month with no book reviewed, which is what I pledged to do in February.

So, I did review this beading book a little while ago and posted on Bead Buddies about it.  As there was a review already in place I thought I would look it back over and add to it a little - cheating, yes, but better than having no review this month  :)

The book is Crystal Lace Necklace Patterns (Bead Weaving Technique) by Sandra D. Halpenny.


Nice looking book (I have the paperback version) with some stunning designs draped across the front.

The photography throughout is beautiful, the colour schemes they have worked make the pieces come across as expensive and elegant, if that make sense.

Throughout the book you will find the patterns getting progressively more ornate, so it's a good idea to start of with one of the ones at the front to see how you go.

Each pattern is accompanied by wonderful illustrations of how to make up the piece, as well as the written instructions.  So if your brain is a little like mine - mushy - you can refer to the pics to make things easier.

I tested the "Wedding Lace" pattern, it was fun, but quite tricky.  Usually I can grasp a pattern after a couple of repeats but I found myself having to keep going back for another look at the illustrations.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of that one to show you as I gave it to my Mother  :)

But I can show you another pattern that I tried which was the "Butterfly Lace Necklace" - made with seed beads and Czech crystals, this is a wonderful design.  You can fiddle about with colour schemes to suit and it just looks amazingly good.

I did a blue iris version with a multitude of different coloured crystals...


and a red one....


Want a close up?



They lay beautifully on the neck and get loads of admiring glances  :)

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to have a go at bead-weaving  and even for those already adept in the craft as there are some stunning designs in it.

Have you already made something from this book?  Feel free to add links so I can go have a look  :)


2 comments:

  1. Dear Sue, Thank you for the nice book review. It's nice to hear too that you enjoyed making the necklaces from the book. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did indeed Sandy, funny I was just looking at it again last night for a gift idea :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.