Monday 23 February 2015

An appliqué cushion for Freya-Rose

I was invited to one of my best friends, Granddaughter's Christenings a few weeks ago.

But what to give as a gift?

When my kids were little they got things like silver egg cups with matching spoons  (they are in their treasure boxes in my attic, getting very tarnished), or silver money boxes  (same place).

I don't know what to get as a Christening gift these days, so I thought I would make a cushion instead.


I started with some white cotton linen, and cut out some colourful fabric letters from my assortment of Fat Quarters that I have somehow gathered over the last year.



I stuck the letters in place with Bondaweb before free-machine embroidering around each one to make them stand out a bit more.


Next I thought I should have a play with my new Sewing Machine with it's many embroidery stitches  :)   I ran a couple of fancy lines up to border the letters.


Then it was time for the edging in a nice summery yellow with bright pink flowers pattern which went well with the fabric I chose for the backing.




Finally time for the backing and the zip   :)  then it was time to stuff it with a cushion pad.



And here it is in her bedroom, photo sent to me by her Mummy  :)


It seems to match in quite well   :)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. There are many appliqué cushions about of course, I just wanted something a little different for a gift.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.