Wednesday 21 October 2015

Sweet Potato & Mushroom Pie - vegetarian recipe


Don't you just love pie!  Especially on cold evenings, with the curtains closed and the fire on, there is nothing better than a good belly warming pie to warm up your soul.

I really fancied pie last week, but after having a root about my fridge and cupboards, seemed to have very little to go in it - a sweet potato and a handful of sleepy mushrooms.   That would have to do!

I chopped up the potatoes, tossed them in a little olive oil and sprinkled some rock salt and chilli flakes over the top for a bit of a kick.


Then I bunged them in a hot oven to roast for about 20 mins.


Meanwhile I needed a sauce of some sort, so I found a cup-a-soup - I like using these as sauce bases, they are always in my cupboard and work very well.  This one had croutons which I had to pick out as I really didn't want soggy lumps in my pie.


Always use less water that directed when making up the soup, as you need it thicker.  Try half the amount of water to start, you can always add to it later.  Leave it to  cool.


Next roll out the pastry for your pie.  I like to have a ready-to-roll pack in the freezer.  I appreciate the ready rolled sheets are easier but you get more for your money if you roll it out yourself. One pack does two good sized pies.


Once the sweet potatoes were roasted I mixed them with the washed, chopped, but uncooked, mushrooms and the soup mix.


Then into the pie it went, it was a generous pie  :)

Lidded and egg washed - you know to do your egg wash before you cut slits in the lid right?  Otherwise the wash will seal the slits and your pie wont have any air escape routes.


Then bake - half an hour at around Gas mark 6 will be good.


Then all you have left to do it enjoy it.  You don't actually need anything to accompany this pie as it has the veg and potatoes inside.  You can make them before you need them too, just keep them in the fridge until baking time.


#ShareYourTeaTuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, questions, comments and salutations all welcome.